Head of governance, Regulation & Risk
Job title: Head of governance, Regulation and Risk
Responsible to: Executive Director of Finance
Responsible for: Governance and Regulation Manager
Main Purpose of Job
- The post contributes to the successful leadership and management of SLH by ensuring robust governance, compliant regulation and thorough management of risk across the organisation.
Key objectives and tasks
Vision and Leadership
- To provide direction and leadership across the team.
- Advise the Board on strategic and policy development with regards to business assurance matters in response to the external environment, ensuring they have relevant information to make effective decisions.
- Provide leadership to reporting colleagues - appraising performance, addressing problems, managing resources, maximising efficiency and promoting the development of best practice.
- Build effective relationships with external stakeholders to further the interests of SLH.
- Develop and manage an informed and intelligent corporate planning framework which is effectively monitored and reported to the Board of Management.
Assurance, Risk and EDI
- Be the lead Officer with primary responsibility for governance and Compliance, with the objective of ensuring that the organisation meets the highest standards of excellence in governance and probity and ensuring compliance with all statutory and regulatory reporting requirements, including the Code of Governance.
- Lead on compliance with regulatory framework for both economic and consumer standards providing relevant levels of assurance to Board.
- Ensure activity of Board Members, officers and the business is in line with the organisations rules and charitable objectives.
- Ensure that the Executive Management Team are properly advised on all compliance matters, procuring specialist legal expertise as required.
- Ensure effective recruitment, induction, learning and development, appraisal, and succession planning to achieve the highest quality of Board leadership and governance.
- Oversee all submissions of data to the Regulator and Homes England to ensure compliance and accuracy of reporting.
- Take ownership of the Strategic Improvement Plan, monitoring completion and ensuring actions delivered by others are completed to time and budget.
- Ensure all future changes to regulatory standards are implemented and embedded across the organisation.
- Assist with the development and delivery of a suite of innovative and practical resources that challenge and stretch our understanding of and approach to EDI issues and its impact on current ways of working, behaviours, attitudes, and culture.
- Take the operational lead on the development and implementation of an SLH EDI strategy and impact focused action plans, working closely with internal and external stakeholders
- Be the operational lead for risk management across the organisation, ensuring current and emerging risks are monitored and the organisational risk map is kept under constant review with regular reports to EMT, Audit and Risk and Board.
- Develop and maintain a robust risk management framework to ensure due regard is given to probity.
- Ensure that appropriate risk assessment procedures are in place to comply with the provisions of Health and Safety legislation.
General Terms & Conditions
- To prepare and present papers and reports as appropriate to EMT and the Board of Management and its Committees.
- Be well-connected and in touch with initiatives in the market as well as representing the organisation at conferences, seminars, public engagements and local, regional and national meetings as appropriate.
- To carry out all duties with due regard to the provisions of Health and Safety legislation.
- To observe and promote equality and diversity principles in all activities.
- To keep abreast of changes in legislation and wider issues and review, recommend and implement changes in policy, procedure and working practices that will improve service delivery and contribute to the achievement of strategic priorities.
- To undertake any other tasks and duties within the scope and grade of the post as required and to meet changing business needs.
- The contents of this job description are not intended to be an exhaustive list but to indicate the main responsibilities of the post. It will be reviewed periodically to take account of changes and developments in service requirements.
- As a member of SLH I agree to act in accordance and actively promote the organisations Equality & Diversity commitments in all areas of work.
|Qualification||Educated to degree standard||D|
|Experience||Experience of supporting, implementing and monitoring the strategic direction of an organisation ensuring that EDI is a priority||E|
|Proven experience of working with a Board at a senior level||E|
|A track record of successfully delivering continuous improvement in service delivery||E|
|Experience of successfully leading and managing people||E|
|Knowledge & skills||Ability to write clear and concise English||E|
|Excellent analytical skills which support business improvement||E|
|Attention to detail||E|
|Understanding of relevant Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, charity law and governance codes||D|
|Social housing or similar regulatory framework||E|
|Able to translate strategy into short, medium and long term plans||E|
|Understanding of social housing sector||E|
|Personal Qualities||Committed to quality, customer service, best practice, and best value in all aspects of the organisations operation||E|
|Shows discretion when dealing with sensitive and confidential information||E|
|Resilient leader, able to motivate and inspire the team in the face of challenge||E|
|Able to develop a team in a rapidly changing environment||E|
|Ability to deliver results, to work under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines||E|
|Ability to both lead teams and work well as a team member||E|
|Self-assurance and integrity||E|
|Decisive with excellent problem solving skills||E|
|Other||Resilient and robust with a positive outlook.||E|
|Dynamic and energetic with a high degree of personal drive.||E|